Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Book Review: The Crimson Rooms by Katharine McMahon



The Crimson Rooms by Katharine McMahon

A woman arrives from Canada on the doorstep of a family of grieving English women with more than a little surprise. The family is expected to accept what is before them and furthermore, support and welcome the situation.

In post World War I London where women are still struggling to make their mark in a male dominated world, Evelyn Gifford is fighting to become a lawyer. Having been given a slight opportunity to advance by the only law firm who will accept her, she soon finds herself embroiled in two important cases, one a sensational murder trial.

Along the way, while trying to understand the arrival of Meredith, who shares a shocking secret with her, she works to save one client and gain the trust of another; finds herself in a surprise love affair; and turns out to be a better sleuth than her male counterparts.

This story had me hooked right away. Not only do I absolutely love historical novels, but the added element of Canada (my home and native land) delighted me to no end. The story follows so many little rabbit trails and as you get to know Evelyn better, you realize she has a stronger constitution than she gives herself credit for, especially when learning how one can make the ultimate sacrifice for love.

In addition, you get a real feel for what women fought so hard for in the way of rights and equality; something that sadly still happens today. These women were the true trailblazers and paved the way for womankind worldwide.

I can't recommend this book enough and while I am sorry to say that this is the first book I have read by Katharine McMahon, it is a fault I intend to rectify immediately! (Good heavens, I've adopted the language of the book already!)

I very much appreciated the opportunity to read this novel and thank MotherTalk for giving me the chance to do so. Look for the the release on February 8, 2010. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! The following online book retailers will be carrying it:

Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Borders
Indie Bound

**I wrote this review while participating in a blog campaign by MotherTalk on behalf of G.P. Putnam's Sons / Riverhead and received a copy of the book to facilitate my candid review. Mom Central sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate.**
 
google3a921ca9ea4130d9.html